Can An Attitude Be Changed?
We are either the masters or victims of our attitudes. It is a matter of personal choice. Who we are today is the result of choices we made yesterday. Tomorrow we will become what we choose today. To change means to choose to change.
If you want to have a great attitude, then make the following choices:
Choice #1: Evaluate Your Present A attitude.
- Identify Problem Feelings: What attitudes make you feel the most negative about yourself? Usually feelings can be sensed before the problem is clarified.
- Identify Problem Behavior: What attitudes cause you the most problems when dealing with others?
- Identify Problem Thinking: We are the sum of our thoughts. “As a man thinks within himself, so is he.” What thoughts consistently control your mind? Although this is the beginning step in correcting attitude problems, these are not as easy to identify as the first two.
- Clarify Truth: In order to know how to change, you need to examine your feelings in light of truth. If you are a person of faith, then use the Scriptures. What do they tell you about how your attitude should be?
- Secure Commitment: At this stage, “What must I do to change?” turns into “I must change.” Remember, the choice to change is the one decision that must be made, and only you can make it.
- Plan and Carry Out Your Choice: Act on your decision immediately and repeatedly.
Choice #2: Realize That Faith Is Stronger Than Fear.
Choice #3: Write a Statement of Purpose.
- Write specifically What You Desire To Accomplish Each Day.
- Verbalize To An Encouraging Friend What You Want To Accomplish Each Day.
- Take Action On Your Goal Each Day.
Choice #4: Have a Desire To Change
Choice #5: Live One Day At A Time
Choice #6: Change Your Thought Patterns
Choice #7: Develop Good Habits
The following steps will assist you in changing bad habits into good ones:
Step #1: List your bad habits.
Step #2: What was the original cause?
Step #3: What are the supporting causes?
Step #4: Determine a positive habit to replace the bad one.
Step #5: Think about the good habit, its benefits and results.
Step #6: Take action to develop this habit.
Step #7: Daily act upon this habit for reinforcement.
Step #8: Reward yourself by noting one of the benefits from your good habit.
Choice #8: Continually Choose to Have A Right Attitude.
You are the only one who can determine what you will think and how you will act. And that means you can make your attitude what you want it to be.
“Attitude 101“, By John C. Maxwell